Your new Lennar home comes with smoke detectors to help protect you and your family. There may also be carbon monoxide (CO) detectors installed. These items are wired directly into your electrical system and should also have back-up batteries installed. It is very important that you keep these devices in good working condition – they could save your life one day.
Be sure to test these units on a regular basis to ensure that they are working properly. Follow the instructions in your unit’s manual for directions on how to perform regular testing.
During a power failure the units should continue to work on back-up batteries. When the batteries need to be changed, the system will notify you by giving off a high-pitched chirping sound. We recommend changing these batteries once a year, regardless of whether or not the system is beeping. Refer to the manufacturer’s manual for instructions on how to change your system’s back-up batteries.
The threat from carbon monoxide is especially great, since you cannot see, smell, or taste it. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of materials that contain carbon, such as coal, wood, and gas. The possibility of carbon monoxide is another reason why it is particularly important to have your HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning) system inspected once a year by a qualified technician, and to perform regular maintenance on such fuel-burning appliances as your furnace, water heater, and fireplace.
Proper ventilation is crucial, so make sure that appliances using combustible gases are well ventilated and kept clear of debris. You should never use a charcoal grill indoors or a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time. Also, never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that does not have proper venting, or leave your car running inside your garage, especially if the garage door is closed, as asphyxiation can occur.
If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, but you are feeling healthy, you should quickly open your windows to ventilate your home, turn off all potential sources of carbon monoxide, then contact a qualified technician (go outside to use your phone) to check your fuel-burning appliances and chimney to ensure that they are working properly. If you experience headache along with nausea, fatigue, weakness, disorientation, or dizziness, this could be an indication that you are breathing in high levels of carbon monoxide. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek fresh air immediately and contact an emergency operator such as 911.
For more information about carbon monoxide safety, please visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s website by clicking here.
To watch the section from our Lennar home care video pertaining to smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, please view the video below:
No related posts.